The Bible Society of Tanzania (BST) is registered as a non-profit inter confessional organisation registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation, Registration No. S05722 of 1970. However, the history of Bible work in Tanzania dates back to 1868 when the first translation of parts of the Bible into Swahili was accomplished with a complete New Testament translation completed in 1879. A translation of the whole Bible was completed in 1890. Since that time the Society has undertaken several translations into different dialects of Swahili as spoken in different regions of East Africa. These include the Union translation published by the Bible Society of Tanzania in 1950, the Swahili Common Language Version which was published in 1977, and Biblia Habari Njema (a modern translation) first published in 1996. The Bible Society became a full member of the United Bible Societies (UBS) in 1988. UBS is a Worldwide Fellowship of the Bible Societies and the membership has given BST official recognition by the Churches as the organisation responsible for translation, production and supply of Scripture in Tanzania. Even though there are a number of agencies involved in Bible work in Tanzania; the task of translation of the Bible into Kiswahili and other local languages has been carried largely by BST. The headquarters of the Bible Society of Tanzania is in Dodoma, the political capital with warehouse facilities and a zonal office in Dar-es-Salaam, the commercial capital of Tanzania. In addition, BST has established a zonal offices which are in Dodoma to server central zone Region, in Mwanza to serve north western zone Region, in Dar es salaam to serve eastern zone Region, in Mbeya to serve southern zone Region and in Moshi to serve northen zone Region.